Fax: (407) 644-0338
Hot stone massage is a specialty massage that uses smooth, heated stones. They are often basalt, a black
volcanic rock that absorbs and retains heat well, but they can be other types. The heat is both deeply relaxing
and helps tight muscles release.
What Happens During a Hot Stone Massage?
* Before you arrive, the massage therapist sanitizes the stones (very important!) and
heats them in 120 to 150 degree water.
* During the massage, the therapist warms up the body with traditional Swedish massage, then massages you
while holding a heated stone. As the stone cools, the therapist replaces it with another.
* The therapist might also leave heated stones in specific points along your spine, in the palms of your hand, on
your belly, or even between your toes to improve the flow of energy in your body.
* If you have inflammation or muscle injury, cold stones are sometimes used.
What You Need To Know About Hot Stone Massage:
* The therapist uses many stones of various shapes and sizes.
* The heat of the stones helps muscles release more quickly than in traditional massage.
* You should speak up if the stones are too warm or the pressure too intense.
* Technique is very important. Less experienced practitioners sometimes use too much pressure.
* Small local day spas might have less experienced therapists. If you have any doubts, ask where the therapist
learned hot stone massage, and how long she has done it.